11 October 2010

"Open"

So I have been feeling the need to write about my family, see last entry. Don’t fret, I do not have some terminal illness which is causing me to publicly express my love for my family. I am feeling very stable, for now, and these entries are not my ‘note’ before the big ‘goodbye’. I have just been inspired by a few photos and wanted to share them with you.
Now on to my dad. Keith Lloyd Van De Walker. His birthday was September 29th and he turned a young 69...isn’t 69 the new 49??



Dad and I had a little bit of a rough start, but I’d like to think we have recovered and have a good relationship.
He has been married to my mom, Delores, for close to 50 years…..Wow (Greg is really old!!)! He grew up and still lives in South St. Paul, Minnesota. He has had lots of different jobs over the years - some not so great, but I think he is most satisfied with what he is doing now. He has his own insurance agency and is helping lots of people save money!
Over the years and many bits of advice there are two things that have stayed with me.
1. Always tithe. Before you spend any money, always take out your 10% first. Ever since my first job, working at The Limited in downtown St. Paul, I have taken this advice. I feel the Lord has blessed me richly for being faithful to Him in this area. Thanks Dad for this morsel.
2. Don’t wish your life away babe. Well....this one is a little harder for me. I think I will struggle with this forever, but it has proved a great challenge to me when I hear those words come out of my mouth "I wish I.....".
I’m not sure if those are the ones that he wanted me to take to heart, but those are the ones that have stuck with me thus far.
Besides verbal gems shared with me there were also nonverbal expressions that have impacted me and how I view my home and the things that I own. When I was growing up we had several people come and live with us. It could have been as simple as college students passing through, or friends of my brother taking some time off from school, or something as ‘sticky’ as a divorced man in need of a Christian brother to extend not only a loving hand, but a place to live food to eat and an ear to listen. Our home was always ‘open’. My parents were, and still are offering their place to anyone in need. I love that mindset. I pray that when my children look back on their lives that they can recall all the people that shared their home and food and were considered family.
I love you Dad! Thank you for your generous heart and loving attitude towards others. You have been such a great example to me and pray that I can pass this along to my children.

No comments:

Post a Comment