18 October 2010

235 out of 243!

Saturday I ran my very first 10K.
As some of you may recall I ran my first 5K a little over 3 months ago. So with no training, me and all my logic decided it would be a good idea to do this 10K (which is twice as long as a 5K for those of you who weren't homeschooled).
At 9am in a huge group of people, there I was FREEZING, with a touch of nausea, ready to embark on 6 miles of a little road running and a little trail running, which I've never done before. It was beautiful! The first 1.5 miles on the road was a perfect start. The corn fields had been harvested and the black dirt was plowed up and the dried corn stalks were mixed in with all that blackness. There was one part of the field that looked like big black rolling waves and I was running so I was able to pass by slowly and take it in. It was gorgeous. Once in the woods I was surrounded by lots of trees (I know, there is my public education 'creative writing class' coming through). Most of the leaves had fallen, but I still thought it to be just brilliant. The sun was shining against the blue sky then the browns and golds were varied with every once in awhile RED! It was maybe red sumac or red berries that hadn't been eaten yet or just a red leaf on the ground. Trail running is awesome as there was just so much to see as well as so much to think about. Most of my running has been on the treadmill so having to look for rocks, mud, branches, or roots was a great distraction! I ran with a friend of mine, who was the instigator of all this 10K stuff. She was kind enough to 'trot' through the course with me and walked when I needed to and talked with me to help keep my mind off how much my knee was killing me!
Overall I was tremendously pleased with how I did. The first three miles were great and I didn't think I would have too much trouble there. Mile number 4 was a little tough, my knee started to hurt, which was a surprise and disappointment so I walked a little. Mile 5 was tougher and I walked a little more. Last mile sucked! (sorry public school coming through again) I walked/ran the first 1/2 of the last mile and gave myself a pep talk about how many children I have birthed into this world without pain meds and then ran the last 1/2 mile across the finish line....never knew my legs could be so heavy until last Saturday.
So I was 235 out of 243 runners. A few days before the race Bug was terribly concerned and asked me if I was going to win. After I regained my composure I said I didn't want to win, but I didn't want to be the last one. Well, I wasn't!
Thanks Marty! I hope you will want to do this again next year, it was fantastic!

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you weren't last. I'm gonna be real honest here, it makes me sad that you feel the need to be so critical of public school. God calls different families to different ways of education...

    ReplyDelete