29 July 2010

The Mountains.

We have finally arrived to the wonderful state of Colorado. Not a bad trip at all. I may even be persuaded to say that it was a wonderful trip. But shall I go one step further and say it was a really fun road trip!
We are still about an hour from our hotel and I am thinking about my kids. I am thinking about their limited life experience. I am thinking about what they envision a mountain to look like. We have recently been spending a little time in Stillwater. As you know the hills throughout the town are quite steep. Do my kids stand down by the river and look up those steep hills and think they are mountains? When we drive on 35 southbound through Lakeville, there is Buck Hill. Do my kids watch out the window of the car as we drive by and look at those hills and think they are mountains?
As we pulled into the state of Colorado it’s clear that the landscape is becoming more ‘rolling’ than we have already seen. I heard Cole say ‘Oh look! I think I see a mountain over there!‘ What are their little minds picturing as mountains. Of course they have seen them in movies, but what will they think of seeing them in real life for the first time.
I also can’t help but relate this to their walk with/knowledge of Christ. Right now it’s limited. As far as they are concerned God has made the flowers and the rain. He has made ants and toads. He has made the sun and food. He has made Daddy and Mommy. I think the biggest thing they have seen that God has made, besides the sky, is Lake Superior, which I think is magnificent.
What will they think about the mountains? God created ants, He can fix ant-sized problems. God created trees, so He can fix tree-sized problems. God created Daddy, who IS the strongest most capable man on earth, so God can fix Daddy-sized problems. But now that they have set their little eyes on real mountains, God can fix anything…or at least that is my prayer as we enter Colorado.
So next time we go to Stillwater they can gaze up those hills and know they are just hills,
because they have seen the mountains.

4 comments:

  1. Great thoughts Julie. Glad you all made it there safely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If the first real mountains they will see are in fact in Colorado, no better place than that. I am going back and forth in my head between Matthew 17:19,20 (faith, mustard seed, moving mountains, etc.) and the even more spiritual lyrics to "Ain't No Mountain High Enough." Have a blessed trip. His creation is so worthy of our praise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great way to think about your children's encounter with the mountains. And they will face numerous mountains in life, so best to help them deal with them now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. one more thought: whenever I'm in the mountains, I long to take it all in, to get to the highest point, the most beautiful stream, the best vista, to experience it all. I've finally, and only lately, learned that that's impossible.
    It's a balance of showing the kids the heights and extremes and reveling in the small wonders of a 10 minute walk (maybe only going 100 yards) up a trail.
    Post pictures!

    ReplyDelete