13 June 2010

Running

So I have secretly started running. Well it was a secret for about a week until a friend ran 93 miles in 24 and I had to confess to him the humor/shame of my AGONY as I struggled to finish my first mile, yes that is singular as in 1, and only 1 mile on the treadmill. I kept it a secret so when I stop no one would know and my pride wouldn't be too hurt among my friends and family as they ask me 'so, ya still running?' They wouldn't have to sit through the long list of reasons why I haven't been feeling well, then the kids with this, and my aching legs that, and then Sean had whatever, and it's been a month and I don't care anymore.

Clearly I have changed my mind about the secrecy, first with the FB confession and now this entry, and would like to hear some encouragement from you if you run or have ran in the past.

I am following Hal Higdon's 5K training (novice) schedule. I got it from my motherinlaw and it is pretty good. It has me running every other day with increases in increment of .25 miles per week. I then do a run/walk option on the non running days and have two 'rest' days. This time around has actually been quite pleasant. The first time on the treadmill I needed to do 1.5 and I did and I actually ran straight for one mile! with out hating every single second of it! and without feeling the need to throw up when I was done! and I didn't need an oxygen mask during my measly mile! I am now up to a WHOPPING 1.8, but I am ahead of schedule because I should only be at 1.75 lmao!!!!! But, I am really proud of myself because I run the entire time and for me that is really quite an accomplishment.

The other day I reluctantly told my sister (who has done a bunch of 5k's and is a marathon runner) that I was running. She got all excited and said 'We should do a race then!' I said, 'ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!' She called me back in about 10 minutes and said we were going to do the Independence Day run on July 3rd at Lake Harriet.

http://www.active.com/running/minneapolis-mn/independence-day-5k-and-10k-2010?cmp=1064 (I know there is a fancy way to make this link say 'here' or 'Lake Harriet', but I don't know how to do that).

I am totally freaking out about doing it because I want to be able to run the whole thing, but really don't think I will be ready. Sean, my love, will be running (he has done a 50 mile race and marathons and ran long distance in school that set records), my aforementioned marathon runner sister, and her husband, who can just pick up and do a half marathon with minimal training and slight pain. So if there is anyone a little less competent that would want to limp along with me I would love to see you there!!!!


Hopefully I will avoid this:



See ya there!!!!! :)

3 comments:

  1. Chad and I are both laughing!! I LOVE the picture!! Can't wait for July 3!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shot gun thoughts:
    Sean ran a 50 mile race? When? Where? Is he going to do it again soon?
    What's "lmao?"
    Don't kill yourself trying to run every step of your runs. Well, you're probably much younger than I. At this point in life, it is far too enjoyable when I'm out running to try to run every step of my runs.
    Salt tablets - they are the secret to not getting cramps! (in the legs)

    ReplyDelete
  3. wish I was there to run with you :)

    ReplyDelete